Tuesday, November 11, 2008

I have a dream

I have a dream. It may not be so lofty as Martin Luther King, Jr.'s dream, but with a little luck and some well-placed research dollars we might just make it.

My dream is that one day we will all be able to have cybernetic legs to help us in climbing stairs and jumping over tall buildings in a single bound. No longer will those of us who are shorter than our peers be picked last for kickball or basketball. No more will the elderly have to shuffle around with their walkers. At long last we will have equality for all!

Well, my friends, my dream is one step closer today. Our operatives working with the Japanese car maker Honda have developed what they call a "walking assist" device. The current incarnation is much cooler than previous attempts, and it is clear that our funding is making a difference. Although Honda has only shown their prototype, we understand that full production is not far off. We have learned that the first version of this device sold in the US will be marketed under the name CyberLegs. Martin Luther King, Jr.'s dream has taken 45 years so far; here's hoping I don't have to wait that long to realize my dream.

No comments: