Sunday, May 10, 2009

A Mother's Day Miracle

As is the tradition for my family I was visiting my mother's house for dinner, and I had baked a cake so that she didn't have to provide a dessert for all of us. As I was exiting my vehicle, however, the agents of the Unholy Brotherhood of the Hole Punch accosted me and, although I was able to repel them and protect my mother and her honor, the cake and the cake pan fell victim to gravity. Due to some luck (or a minor miracle) the cake was salvaged from its erstwhile perch and was fit to be consumed. I gave the cake to my mother, who was in the process of taking the cake into her home when more agents of the Unholy Brotherhood of the Hole Punch arrived. Freed from the encumbrance that was the cake I was quickly able to capture them, but once again the cake fell victim to gravity. Due to another minor miracle the cake had landed in the exact same orientation as it had before, and with a bit of creative sculpting was again fit for consumption.

The real miracle here, however, is not that the cake survived, but that, like penicillin, an accident that could have been very unfortunate served to provide us with a new and wholly unanticipated discovery. Out of the ashes of defeat arose the "Perfectly Chocolate Twice-Dropped Cake," which, according to those present, was extraordinarily tasty. At the GNU Public Dictatorship we are nothing if not pleased to see the plans of the Parent Corporation go awry, and when we get a new tasty treat and two captive operatives out of the deal we are nothing if not ecstatic!

No comments: